Wednesday 10 August 2011

I'm going to be a fucking optimist.

A pessimist is one who makes difficulties of his opportunities and an optimist is one who makes opportunities of his difficulties. ~ Harry Truman

I’m going to put good vibes out into the planet and wait for the good things to come back to me.

Or that’s the plan anyway. Not that I think that this is going to stop me making miserable art. I’ve got enough ideas and things locked away from the past 28 years to fuel miserable art for another 50 years, at least, but it’s time to stop getting lost in them. Time to take this happy buzz I have going and send that out to grow and be. Who knows maybe I will turn into an optimist. Maybe optimism is naïve. But fuck it, as R. Buckminster Fuller said ‘dare to be naïve’.

So I’m going to put everything into making art, I’m going to let it rip me apart and put me back together then send it out into the world to have other people connect to it, laugh at it, rip it apart or ignore it. But I’m an optimist now so it will all go perfectly, every piece will be loved, I won’t sell anything for under 3 billion dollars each. I will get to live in all the countries I want to live in and I will get my castle complete with a moat.

But if it doesn’t and it’s hated or ignored at least in twenty years I won’t look back and wonder what it could have become if only I was brave enough to throw it out there.

Here’s to being an optimist. Where's the vodka...

Ears are dancing around with: John Butler Trio
Eyes are still reading A Child Called 'It' by Dave Pelzer